Land Conservation & Greenways Conference Postponed to August 9-11, 2020
Sponsored by Virginia’s United Land Trusts with local hosts Alliance for the Shenandoah Valley and Valley Conservation Council
Conference Update, March 25, 2020
Land Conservation & Greenways Conference Attendees and Partners,
We hope everyone’s families are healthy and well.
We wanted to provide an additional update on the Land Conservation & Greenways Conference. Thank you for comments about postponing. It is clear that folks are excited about gathering and networking to learn how we can work as a community to protect and promote the lands of Virginia.
Land Conservation & Greenways Conference, August 9-11, 2020, Hotel Madison, Harrisonburg, VA
- If you have already registered for the conference and can attend, you do not need to do anything.
- If you have already registered for the conference and cannot attend, please contact email@example.com, 540-529-1595 to receive a refund.
- If you have not registered yet, here is the link: https://vaunitedlandtrusts.org/annual-conference/registration/
Hotel Cancellations/New Reservations:
- The simplest way for the Hotel Madison to handle hotel reservations is to cancel all of the April reservations and for everyone to rebook for August. Those who reserved rooms for April will receive a cancellation email from the hotel this week.
- Online reservations will reopen the week of March 30th. The link will be posted here: https://vaunitedlandtrusts.org/annual-conference/lodging-attractions/
- We have a block of rooms for the August 9-11, 2020 conference. The nightly room rate is $96 single occupancy/$106 double occupancy (this is the state per diem rate). The block rate will end July 9, 2020.
We are in the process of following up with all speakers, field trip organizers, sponsors, and others who are key to making the conference happen. Please contact Peggy Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ellen Shepard email@example.com) with any questions.
Thank you from the VaULT Board of Directors and the 2020 Conference Planning Committee!
Field Trips: Fishing & birding at Hayfields Reserve, Hike North River Gorge on Shenandoah Mountain, Farm Tour, Cross Keys and Port Republic Battlefield Tour, Shenandoah National Park Hike, “Friendly City” Downtown Walking Tour, Northend Greenway Bike Trip, Blacks Run/Purcell Park Restoration Tour
- Keynote speaker: Mamie Parker, Expanding Partnerships and Connecting More People to the Land, Dr. Parker is a Principal with Ecologix Group, the first African-American chairwoman of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Board, a former US Fish and Wildlife Service Chief of Staff, a Fish and Wildlife Biologist, and has served on dozens of boards and commissions including Chesapeake Conservancy, Virginia Chapter of The Nature Conservancy, and Potomac Conservancy.
Keynote speaker: Ralph Sampson, Family Legacy of Agriculture, Forestry, and Land Stewardship, Mr. Sampson is a Harrisonburg native and Rockingham County farmer where he helps maintain the family’s century farm. A three time College Player of the Year while playing for the University of Virginia and former professional basketball player, Mr. Sampson brings his basketball agility and entrepreneur talents to bring the family farm into the 21st century.
- More than 20 sessions and roundtables including: Little Towns with Big Plans – How Capacity Limited Communities are Growing Local Economies by Leveraging the Great Outdoors; Comprehensive Planning and Conservation Easements; Using Greenways to Combat Climate Change; Preparing for the Future: Board leadership development and changing the face of the Board; Virginia Food Systems – Economies of Growing Food in Western Virginia; and Renewables – Strategies to Achieve Land and Energy Goals for Virginia
- Socialize & meet new people: Sunday Social Hour, New Professional Event, & Monday Evening Reception
- Submit A Poster Session: July 9, 2020, A great way to add content to the conference and to highlight a project you are working on.
- Registration & Reserving your Room:
- Register: Registration includes field trips, all sessions, and Monday breakfast, lunch, evening reception food and Tuesday breakfast and lunch. Registration is $200/$225 for members/nonmembers ($225/$250 after July 9).
- Reserve Your Hotel Room: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Madison. The nightly room rates are $96 single occupancy/$106 double occupancy.
Thanks to our INCREDIBLE SPONSORS field trips are free and registration is less than the actual per person cost. Sponsors above $500 are eligible to have a display table in the registration area, which is a great way to provide more educational content to the conference. To find out about becoming a sponsor, contact Peggy Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org).