Brush Mountain Park Project Update
NRLT purchased two properties totaling 552 acres on the south face of Brush Mountain last year with money from Virginia Outdoor Foundation’s Forest CORE Fund.
We plan to transfer the properties to the Town of Blacksburg to become a public park. In the meantime, we’re working on the construction of a multi-use trail system for the future park, which will provide recreational opportunities for mountain bikers, runners, hikers, horseback riders, and wildlife enthusiasts.
The Town and project partners convened a group to help with the planning of the park and trail system. The group has drafted a plan that is intended to appeal to a range of user groups and interests. The plan currently outlines about nine miles of trails.
Thanks to community donations, the Town of Blacksburg, and possible grant funding, we plan to start the first phase of trail work in 2020. We are also starting a corporate campaign in January 2020 to raise funds from area businesses.
We held a public meeting with the Town of Blacksburg on December 5th to review the draft plan of the future park. See below for links to detailed information about the park and proposed trails from the Town of Blacksburg’s page:
- Vision, Mission, Values for Brush Mountain Properties Stakeholder Team (pdf)
- Draft Concept Plan: Brush Mountain Properties, Dec 2019 (pdf)
- Map A: Existing Conditions, Both Properties (pdf)
- Map B: Proposed Trail Alignments, Brush Mountain Property 1 (pdf)
- Map C: Proposed Trail Alignments, Brush Mountain Property 2(pdf)
- Map D: Proposed Trail Alignments, Both Properties (pdf)
- Community Presentation: Brush Mountain Properties Draft Concept Plan, Dec 2019 (pdf)
Want to help build trails? Donate to the Brush Mountain Trails Project by making a tax-deductible contribution to the New River Land Trust. In the comments section on the donation form, please designate “Brush Mountain Trails”.