New Features Added to Nature Play Space
The New River Land Trust Nature Play Space in Heritage Park got some upgrades this spring and summer thanks to a grant from the Rotary Club of Blacksburg. These include:
- 3 new handmade eastern cedar benches
- A child-sized birdhouse decorated with art by George Wills
- A nature play inspiration box
- Multiple nest boxes for birds
- An insect hotel for pollinators
- New plants in the pollinator garden
- New signage about nesting and bird species
Existing features include a sandpit, Little Free Library, stones for sitting, playing and drawing, and a welcoming arbor with native plants.
Come to the play space to dig in the dirt, catch bugs, read a book, daydream, watch butterflies, or rest in the shade (check out the new play inspiration box for even more ideas). Nature play stimulates all of the senses and promotes every aspect of healthy child development—physical, cognitive, creative, social/emotional and spiritual.
Save the Date! We’ll be hosting a Nature Play Date this fall on October 26th from noon-2pm.