New Features added to Nature Play Space
The New River Land Trust Nature Play Space in Heritage Park got some upgrades this spring and summer thanks to a grant from the Rotary Club of Blacksburg. These include:
- 3 new handmade eastern cedar benches
- A child-sized birdhouse decorated with art by George Wills
- A nature play inspiration box
- Multiple nest boxes for birds
- An insect hotel for pollinators
- New plants in the pollinator garden
- New signage about nesting and bird species
Existing features include a sand pit, Little Free Library, stones for sitting, playing and drawing, and a welcoming arbor with native plants.
Come to the play space to dig in the dirt, catch bugs, read a book, daydream, watch butterflies, or rest in the shade (and more – check out the new play inspiration box). Nature play stimulates all of the senses and promotes every aspect of healthy child development—physical, cognitive, creative, social/emotional and spiritual.
We’ll be hosting a community Nature Play Date this fall – more details to come!